The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is responsible for ensuring that food products in India are safe for consumption. In order to operate a food business in India, it is mandatory to obtain FSSAI certification.
An FSSAI certificate or FSSAI license is required to operate a food business in India. In today’s environment, when people prefer certified food consumption, an FSSAI license can provide legal benefits and expand the reach of a food business. Not to mention that it fosters goodwill and confidence, ensures the safety of food, and raises customer knowledge.
Here are the details on how to register your food chain with the FSSAI. And, you can learn how to receive the FSSAI license by reading the relevant procedures and requirements.
What is FSSAI Registration
Every food business owner or operator that makes, processes, stores, distributes, or sells food must obtain an FSSAI Registration or License.
FSSAI Registration differs from FSSAI License in that FBO should obtain the relevant registration or license based on the size and nature of the business.
All food containers have a 14-digit registration or license number. The assembly state and the producer’s permit are both listed in the 14-digit registration number. This registration method is meant to strengthen the FBO’s accountability in maintaining the quality of food goods. The Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations of 2011 oversee the licensing and registration process, as well as the standards.
Types of FSSAI Registration
FSSAI registration is dependent on the type of business, turnover, and production capacity. FBOs can obtain a basic license, a central license, or a state license based on their installed capacity and turnover.
- FSSAI Basic Registration – FBOs with annual revenues of less than Rs.12 lakh must obtain FSSAI basic registration. Form A is the FSSAI registration form that the applicant must complete to receive FSSAI basic registration.
- FSSAI State License – FBOs with yearly sales of more than Rs.12 lakh but less than Rs.20 crore must get an FSSAI state license. Form B is the FSSAI registration form that the applicant must complete to get an FSSAI state license.
- FSSAI Central License – FBOs with a yearly turnover of more than Rs.20 crore are required to obtain an FSSAI central license. Form B is the FSSAI registration form that the applicant must complete to receive an FSSAI central license.
How to Apply for a Food License in India
To apply for a food license in India, you must first complete the following steps:
- Determine whatever sort of license you require: Depending on the sort of food business, you may need a Basic Registration, a Food Safety and Standards License, or both.
- Obtain FSSAI registration: FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) registration is required. The FSSAI is in charge of regulating and monitoring the food industry in India.
- Prepare the following documents: A range of documents will be required, including your PAN card, proof of business address, pictures of the food company premises, and FSSAI registration.
- Send in your application: Submit the completed application form and all required papers to the FSSAI office or online via the FSSAI’s webpage.
- Fees must be paid: The license fees must be paid.
- Inspection: The FSSAI will inspect your food company facilities to confirm that you comply with food safety rules.
- Obtain the license: Once your application has been granted and all conditions have been satisfied, you will be issued a food license that will be valid for one to five years, depending on the type of license.
How to Obtain FSSAI Online Registration for Food Businesses in India
- FBOs can receive FSSAI registration online by completing and submitting Form A (application for Registration) or Form B (application for State and Central License) on the FoSCoS site. Offline registration is also possible for FBOs by submitting Form A or Form B to the Food and Safety Department.
- The relevant documentation must be submitted with the FSSAI registration form. The documents must be posted electronically on the FoSCos portal at the time of application submission or physically submitted to the Food and Safety Department together with the application.
- The Department has 7 days from the date of receipt of an application, either physically or online through the FoSCoS site, to approve or reject the FSSAI registration form. If the application is rejected, the applicant must be notified in writing
- The documents provided will be reviewed by the Department.
- If necessary, the Department may undertake an examination of the food facilities before issuing the FSSAI registration certificate.
- If the Department determines that the FBO fits all of the specified criteria, it will issue an FSSAI registration certificate with the registration number and the applicant’s email ID photo. By logging into the FoSCoS portal, the applicant can also download the FSSAI registration certificate.
- During business hours, the FSSAI registration certificate shall be conspicuously displayed at the FBO.
Documents Needed to Obtain an FSSAI Registration/Certificate
To obtain FSSAI basic registration, FSSAI state license, and FSSAI central license, the following documents are required:
- Operators of food establishments must provide photo identification.
- Certificates of the business constitution, such as a partnership agreement, certificate of incorporation, shop and establishment license, or other business registration certificate.
- Proof of business premises possession, such as a rental agreement, a letter of authorization from the owner of the rented premises, utility bills, and so on.
- Plan for a food safety management system.
- A list of food products that have been produced or processed.
- Information about your bank account.
- Supporting documentation (if required), such as a Municipality or Panchayat NOC, a Health NOC, a copy of the manufacturer’s license, and so on.
How to check the Status of your FSSAI License Registration
FSSAI sends SMS/Email alerts to applicants at various stages of application processing. The applicant can also monitor the FSSAI registration status by entering the application reference number issued after applying for FSSAI on the FoSCoS website under the ‘Track Application Status’ option. Click here for complete instructions on how to track the status of your FSSAI application.
Tracking the application status allows you to see the various phases of the FSSAI registration status. When the FSSAI registration status is ‘Application Reverted,’ it means that the FSSAI authorities have reverted the application for any necessary changes or clarification. To avoid application rejection, the applicant must send the response within 30 days after the reversed date.
When the FSSAI officials issue the FSSAI registration certificate, the registration status will be displayed as ‘Registration Certificate Issued’. By logging into the FoSCoS website, applicants can download the certificate easily.
What are the benefits of an FSSAI license?
- Legitimacy: An FSSAI license signifies that a food business is legitimate and has met the government’s food safety criteria.
- Consumer Trust: Consumers are more inclined to trust and purchase items from a company that has an FSSAI license, which improves brand reputation and customer loyalty.
- Legal Compliance: Having an FSSAI license ensures that food safety laws and regulations are followed, lowering the danger of legal consequences.
- Good Quality Control: The FSSAI license compels enterprises to execute strict food safety standards, which results in better quality control and safer food products.
- Market Expansion: With an FSSAI license, food firms can expand their market and sell their products throughout the country.
- Competitive Advantage: An FSSAI license provides firms with a competitive advantage in the market by demonstrating their commitment to food safety.
- Ease of Doing Business: The FSSAI license simplifies the process of beginning and operating a food business, saving time and effort.
- Access to Government Programmes: Food enterprises that hold an FSSAI license are eligible for a variety of government schemes and subsidies targeted at boosting food safety and quality.
- Export Facilitation: An FSSAI license is required for exporting food items to foreign countries, promoting the expansion of international trade.
- Greater Revenues: Due to more consumer trust and market awareness, a well-maintained FSSAI license can result in increased sales and higher revenues for a food business.
FSSAI License Fees
The FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) licensing fee is determined by several parameters, including the type of food business (manufacturer, trader, restaurant, etc.), the yearly turnover of the business, and the license category (such as basic, central, state, etc.).
The basic FSSAI registration price for a small food business with an annual turnover of fewer than 12 lakhs is Rs. 100 as of 2021, while the fee for a state license might range from Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 7,500 per year. The annual charge for a central license can range from Rs. 7,500 to Rs. 1,00,000, depending on the business’s income.
FSSAI License Renewal in India
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is India’s major food safety and regulatory authority. The following actions must be taken for FSSAI renewal:
- Step 1: Use your registered credentials to access the FSSAI’s official website (fssai.gov.in).
- Step 2: Navigate to the “Renewal” tab and pick the license type you want to renew (e.g. Basic FSSAI license, State FSSAI license, or Central FSSAI license).
- Step 3: Complete the renewal application form with all of the essential information and submit the appropriate papers.
- Step 4: Use a debit/credit card or net banking to pay the renewal charge online.
Let the FSSAI process your application and renew your license.
Note: To avoid penalties and maintain the sustainability of your food industry activities, renew your FSSAI license before its expiration date.
Finally, as previously stated, an FSSAI license or FSSAI registration is required to operate any Food Business Operator (FBO) in India. Food business operations such as Restaurants, Dhabas, Canteens, Retailers, Distributors, and so on will be unable to function in India unless they obtain an FSSAI license.
Before beginning the registration procedure, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the pre-registration legalities. Applying insufficient compliance information may put you in a tense scenario. This is where an expert can help. At Instaspaces, we ensure that our clients receive unparalleled support from the time the application is filed until the license is issued.
We have a professional team at InstaSpaces that will collaborate with FSSAI inspectors for inspection, which is an essential component of the FSSAI certificate procedure. We guarantee proper acknowledgments and follow-ups by working directly with FSSAI authorities or FSSAI compliance. We guarantee quality services by using a professional approach to obtaining the FSSAI license.
From start to finish, InstaSpaces will assist you in registering for the FSSAI license in Gujarat. Instaspaces’ team of food license professionals can assist you from start to finish with the FSSAI license registration process.
Email:- [email protected]
Happy Office Hunting0 109
Leave a Reply